The Process of Making a Flower.

 

When we decided to make these flowers we knew the first thing we needed was inventory - lots of inventory. That was one of the most enjoyable parts of the process. We hit just about every garage sale of every weekend we could. We visited the local thrift shops at least once a week. 

 

What we ended up with was over 3,000 items. We soon took over an entire bedroom and a corner of a living room, and that didn't even include the workshop part of the operation. This was after two years of collecting and we hadn't even made one completed flower.

 

Next was the equipment. We bought a drill press, ordered special diamond core bits from a mining company (turned out to be overkill on the drill bits as Amazon and Home Depot had what we really needed), and found a pipe bending tool called a hickey (teehee).

 

Having all that inventory paid off; we were able to be selective and creative and not have to settle for less than what we wanted our finished products to look like. Duty called for us to move to Arizona. We packed up and away we went.

 

Within the next 18 months we still had not made a completed flower and needed to move again, this time to S. California. Here we were able to complete over one hundred "flowers" and sold dozens in the nearby garden shops and wine garden art fairs. We did really well and were even interviewed on t.v.

 

Louise at the drill press. 

Carol mixing and matching for the perfect design. 

In all those moves we only broke about two small boxes of inventory.

 

In California we finally got going again. We drilled dishes, plates, bowls, saucers, and even teacups.

 

So what impressed so many buyers and sets us apart from most "flower" makers?  

We drill. Louise is the expert at the drill press.  She uses techniques of applying water to the drill bit as it makes a perfect hole in the middle of each item. Then she hands the parts of the flower to me and I assemble each flower with a nylon bolt and nut. Some flowers look better if they have separation between some of the components. So here is where I do use a bit of special glue just to hold the spacer. This in no way affects  the integrity and strength of the supporting parts. And to finish our flower another dab of glue to hold the stunning center on the head of the bolt. 

 

But there was one more move to make, back up to the Pacific Northwest and Spokane. We bought a small trailer, painted it Seahawk colors, instead of the Bronco colors, so we could enter Washington State without our tires being slashed.

We do not intend to move far in the next few years and look forward to more years of creating. 

 

We love making these flowers and have grown very fond of many of them. We hope you will too.